Panera Bread is famous for its salads — we especially love the Fuji apple chicken salad. When we can’t buy one, we make one. So, we have a copycat recipe.
Making this salad at home starts with the base salad: a mixture of the field greens and chopped romaine.
Fuji apples, a sweet varietal, are the star of the showbut Gala apples, also sweet, make a good substitute. If you want this salad to be less sweet and more tart, consider a Red Delicious or Honeycrisp apple.
Feta cheese compliments the sweetness of the Fuji apple. However if you aren’t a fan of feta, ricotta salata cheese has the same crumbly texture, but isn’t as salty. Goat cheese works, too. For those who are dairy-free, tofu cheeses can be used.
This salad calls for shredded chicken — if you want to save a step, you can pick up a rotisserie chicken, otherwise, season chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and bake before shredding.
Copycat Panera Fuji apple chicken salad
Makes: 4 servings
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups mixed field greens
- 2 cups chopped leafy romaine
- 1-2 cups rotisserie or leftover chicken, shredded
- 1 fuji apple cut into matchsticks, skin left on
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup pecans, toasted
- 1 bag (2½ ounce) apple chips
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl whisk the honey, vinegar, and mustard together until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Add greens and leafy romaine to a large platter.
- Sprinkle chicken, apples, feta, red onion, pecans and apple chips over the greens.
- Drizzle with dressing.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Check out these recipes to up your kitchen game:
Story Credit: usatoday.com