Tuesday, January 31, 2023
HomeUK NewsPrince Andrew's taxpayer-funded royal protection cops to be replaced by private bodyguards...

Prince Andrew’s taxpayer-funded royal protection cops to be replaced by private bodyguards who can only carry tasers

- Advertisement -

PRINCE Andrew’s armed royal protection cops are being replaced by private security officers who are only allowed to carry tasers.
And it is believed King Charles may personally foot the bill for his brother’s new team of bodyguards.
Prince Andrew’s armed personal protection police will be replaced by private security officers only allowed to carry tasers4Prince Andrew’s armed personal protection police will be replaced by private security officers only allowed to carry tasersCredit: PAKing Charles may foot the bill for his brother’s bodyguards, it is believed4King Charles may foot the bill for his brother’s bodyguards, it is believedCredit: GettyIt comes after The Sun on Sunday revealed last month the Duke of York, 62, was writing to Home Office ministers complaining at losing his taxpayer-funded police gun cops.
He wanted the government to continue to pick up the estimated £3million-a-year bill even though he no longer has an official public role.
It comes almost a year after the scandal-hit Duke was stripped of all royal roles and public duties in disgrace by the Queen due to his Virginia Giuffre alleged sex abuse case settlement whilst denying liability.
Buckingham Palace refused to say whether the King would fund his brother’s private guards, mostly ex-Met cops, and use his £24million a year Duchy of Lancaster income.
Fergie to receive 1st royal Christmas invite in 30 yrs after toe scandalQueen’s unexpected response at hearing of Prince Andrew abuse allegations
They also refuse to comment on security matters but face fresh calls to be more open on how taxpayers fund Royal Family protection.
Andrew is flush with cash after this week finally selling his £19million Swiss chalet following two years of legal wrangling – but his pals are refusing to say if he has reached into his own pocket.
The disgraced Duke’s deal comes as Prince Harry is suing the Home Office saying it was “unfair” and “illegal” to remove his armed guards when he and Meghan quit royal duty to live in the USA.
Norman Baker, former Home Office minister and Privy Council member, said: “Armed protection has always been a status symbol for the likes of Prince Andrew.

“Of course he should pay it himself and not burden the taxpayer because he is a private individual and carries out no public duties.
“People like David Beckham pay for their own security so why shouldn’t Prince Andrew.
“But there needs to be more accountability on who and how security is being paid overall.
“We should know who is paying and how much. I would bet that the taxpayer will end up paying for this indirectly anyway.
“I would imagine the King could put it through the Duchy of Lancaster then be able to say it is expenses incurred as part of his duties and off-set it against tax.
“We shouldn’t pay for Andrew’s or Harry’s security or any member of the Royal Family that carries out no public duties.”
Prince Andrew was stripped of all royal roles and public duties in disgrace by the Queen due to his Virginia Giuffre alleged sex abuse case settlement4Prince Andrew was stripped of all royal roles and public duties in disgrace by the Queen due to his Virginia Giuffre alleged sex abuse case settlementCredit: PAPrince Andrew has suffered a string of security incidents in recent years4Prince Andrew has suffered a string of security incidents in recent yearsCredit: Getty Images – GettyAn insider said: “Andrew is no longer a working royal and carries out zero royal duties so there is no automatic right that the British people should pay for armed protection.
“He is still a high profile person and would be no doubt a security target.
“But there is no longer any justification for taxpayers to carry the cost of armed police.
“He has been demoted by the Royal Family and as a result his security is downgraded.
“It is a shattering blow to his ego. Made worse by fact if he cannot afford it he’d be cap in hand begging for money from his older brother.”
‘SHATTERING BLOW’
The protection is similar to what was offered to his daughters princesses Beatrice and Eugenie – who are also not working royals.
The siblings were given private security but the tab was paid for by the Royal Family.
Andrew has carried out zero charity work or employment and insiders say he spends his time riding his horses, watching telly or playing golf.
Attempts to forge a new role have failed but he was handed an all-expenses-paid trip to Bahrain last month by friends in the Bahraini Royal Family.
Andy has suffered a string of security incidents in recent years and is consistently ranked by the public as the least popular member of the Royal Family.
An intruder who said she was called ‘Irene Windsor’ talked her way past guards and spent around 20 minutes walking around Royal Lodge grounds last April before being arrested.
Weeks later two more intruders were arrested after scaling the fence to his home and a year ago cops arrested a woman who banged the window of Andrew’s Range Rover on Windsor’s Long Walk.
And on Christmas Day last year cops swooped on a man brandishing a crossbow at Windsor Castle where Andrew was with the Queen.
I'm a foodie and have the best air fryer recipe - kids will love itB&M shopper in stitches after spotting very rude detail on Xmas reindeer ornament
A spokesman for the Duke of York did not want to comment.
A spokesman for Buckingham Palace said they do not comment on private security and refused to answer any more questions.

Story Credit: thesun.co.uk

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular