Wednesday, February 1, 2023
HomeUK NewsI’m sharing photo of my toddler who died because of mouldy housing...

I’m sharing photo of my toddler who died because of mouldy housing association flat so it never happens again

- Advertisement -

THE heartbroken father of a toddler who died after the family were forced to live in a mouldy flat has shared a photo of the boy in a bid to prevent another tragedy.
Awaab Ishak, 2, passed away in December 2020 after damp and mouldy conditions in his home severely affected his health.
Awaab Ishak died because of the conditions he was living in5Awaab Ishak died because of the conditions he was living inCredit: MEN MediaThe damp and mould in his home severely affected his health5The damp and mould in his home severely affected his healthCredit: MEN MediaAwaab's family complained about the conditions even before the tot was born5Awaab’s family complained about the conditions even before the tot was bornCredit: MEN MediaThe young boy’s family had been complaining about the condition of their property in Rochdale, Greater Manchester, even before the tot was born, it was said.
A pre-inquest review revealed Awaab’s death was linked to the conditions he was living in.
Awaab was admitted to Royal Oldham Hospital with breathing difficulties before being pronounced dead shortly after.
Father Faisal Abdullah first moved to the flat in 2016, before his wife moved in two years later.
Lidl's Christmas ad is going for your heartstrings - but your kids will be guttedI'm A Celeb attraction shuts for good leaving parents saying Xmas is ruined
And from the beginning of their tenancy they had mould concerns even filing a disrepair claim and trying to move home.
Today, a coroners court will start an inquest into Awaab’s death and its is expected to last nine days.
Speaking ahead of the inquest, Faisal Abdullah said: “We have a number of questions that we hope the inquest process will provide answers to,” reports the MEN.
“We want to ensure that any lessons to be learned are acted upon and that no other family has to go through this.”

In summer this year, a court heard Manchester United star Axel Tuanzebe grew up in the same flats – which are owned and managed by Rochdale Boroughwide Housing (RBH).
RBH said the damp posed no risk to health however, a pathologist said Awaab’s death – which was a week after his second birthday – was linked to “environmental lung exposure”.
And a report carried out by Rochdale Council after the tragedy found he had suffered “category one” harm – or extreme harm – due to mould and damp.
Gareth Swarbrick, chief executive of RBH, said: “We are saddened to hear about the issues raised by residents in this piece. We have made direct contact with all the residents to look at how we can support them and to ensure their homes are at the standard we would wish to see.
“We have established a dedicated, specialist team who have started to visit every home in this neighbourhood to check the current condition of all of the 376 homes. We expect this to be completed by early September.
“Any issues relating to damp and mould will be dealt with as a priority.

“Actions could include installation of Positive Input Ventilation units and humidity sensors as well as three stage anti-mould treatments.
“The dedicated, specialist team can be contacted on freephone 0800 027 7769.”
Man United star Axel Tuanzebe grew up on the same estate5Man United star Axel Tuanzebe grew up on the same estateCredit: GettyAwaab died a week after his second birthday5Awaab died a week after his second birthdayCredit: MEN Media
Story Credit: thesun.co.uk

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular