A HEARTBROKEN son has told how he found his mum and sister dead in his burger van after they inhaled carbon monoxide fumes.
Tyla Wanstall discovered the pairs’ bodies in his Meat ‘N’ Greet Snack Wagon off the Old Thanet Way in Whitstable, Kent, yesterday morning.
3Mum and daughter Leah Churchill and Brooke Wanstall were found dead in burger vanCredit: Facebook3Leah, 50, had been decorating the van for his son’s birthdayCredit: Facebook3Her daughter Brooke, 17, also died of carbon monoxide poisoningCredit: FacebookThey had been decorating the van late Monday night as a surprise for Tyla’s 26th birthday yesterday.
Tyla has now told of the haunting moment he discovered his sister Brooke, 17, and mum Leah, 50.
He told KentOnline: “They were decking the van out inside in balloons and bunting as a birthday surprise for me, like my mum would do at home every year,.
“I didn’t even know they were going down there last night but she must have started the petrol generator up to keep warm without realising the danger.”
Tyla found them when he arrived for work at 8am.
He explained: “I opened the van door and saw my mum and sister and for an instant thought they had fallen asleep,” he recalled.
“I smelt fumes but it just didn’t register straight away, but it became obvious they were both dead.
“I called the police and ambulance but it was the firefighters who told me it was likely carbon monoxide poisoning.
“It’s heartbreaking to think they spent their last few moments just trying to put a smile on my face.”
Leah was a mum-of-four, also leaving behind daughter Ocean, 23, and son Sonny, 12.
Paying tribute, Tyla said: “She was so kind and would do anything for anyone.
“She would take a homeless man in off the streets if she was allowed.
“Mum worked all over the place, mostly in hospitality, and used to run the Share and Coulter pub in Greenhill.
“She was helping me in the burger van a couple of days a week.”
Meanwhile he says Brooke was “a live-wire with a huge personality”.
He added: “She had her whole life in front of her.
“She did really well in her grades and had just started work as a carer, which she was really enjoying.
“She was also due to take her driving test next week.”
Tyla has now warned of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
He said: “Mum made a fatal mistake and we don’t want this to happen to anyone else.
“Be aware of this thing, people. If you haven’t got a carbon monoxide alarm go and get one. It is a serious killer.
“I don’t know how we’re ever going to get over this.”
Story Credit: thesun.co.uk