Wednesday, February 1, 2023
HomeSportsSocial media slams Commanders for using Brian Robinson Jr. shooting to deflect...

Social media slams Commanders for using Brian Robinson Jr. shooting to deflect from D.C. AG announcement

- Advertisement -

Hours after Washington, D.C., Attorney General Karl Racine said he would make a “major announcement” about the Commanders, the franchise issued a scathing response that was roundly criticized on social media.

The team’s statement referenced the August shooting of rookie running back Brian Robinson Jr. and accused Racine of paying more attention to the Commanders than to crime in D.C. 

MORE: How Brian Robinson Jr. made miracle return to field after shooting

“Less than three months ago, a 23-year-old player on our team was shot multiple times in broad daylight,” the Commanders said, adding that the franchise learned Wednesday on Twitter that Racine would be making an announcement “despite out-of-control violent crime in DC.”

The Commanders — who are controlled by embattled owner Dan Snyder — called it “unfortunate” that Racine would make an announcement about the team “rather than doing the hard work of making the streets safe for our citizens, including bringing justice to the people who shot one of our players.”

Washington, D.C., police arrested a teenager last week in connection with Robinson’s shooting.

MORE: What to know as Dan Snyder explores ‘potential transactions’

Criticism of the Commanders’ statement swiftly poured in:

Ryan Williams, Robinson’s agent, was among those shocked by the statement.

MORE: Colts’ Jim Irsay explains why Daniel Snyder could be removed as Commanders

Racine began an investigation into the Commanders after a congressional investigation focusing on the franchise’s workplace culture also raised red flags about potential financial improprieties by the team.

The details of Racine’s announcement, which is scheduled for 1 p.m. ET Thursday, aren’t known. 


Credit: sportingnews.com

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular