Thursday, February 2, 2023
HomeSportsPerth Scorchers terminate top draft pick Laurie Evans after positive doping result

Perth Scorchers terminate top draft pick Laurie Evans after positive doping result

- Advertisement -

Perth Scorchers have terminated the contract of top draft pick Laurie Evans, after it was revealed the Englishman had returned a positive result to a banned substance.

The 35-year-old, who was named Player of the Match in last season’s final against the Sydney Sixers, was selected by the franchise in August’s inaugural BBL Draft. 

Evans, who bats in the top order, tested positive in a routine anti-doping test earlier this year while playing for Manchester in The Hundred competition. 

Due to the positive result, Scorchers and Evans’ management have opted to mutually terminate his contract. 

MORE: Marnus Labuschagne not worried despite low crowd numbers

“The Perth Scorchers have been made aware that Laurie Evans tested positive for a banned substance,” a statement said. 

“The club is disappointed to learn of Evans’ positive anti-doping test result relating to a sample provided in August 2022.

“Evans was retained by the Scorchers in the Gold round of the inaugural KFC BBL|12 Draft.

“Due to the circumstances, the Scorchers and Laurie and his management have decided to mutually terminate his contract for the 2022-23 KFC Big Bash League season.

“The club will explore its options to source a replacement player for the tournament.”

Perth will now be forced to find a new marquee man heading into their BBL|12 campaign, which begins on December 17th against the Sixers. 

The right-hander has denied taking any banned substance, revealing the news in a statement released by the Professional Cricketers’ Association. 

MORE: Get summer sport ready with up to 50% off this Black Friday sale at Barbeques Galore

“I was shocked to be told that an anti-doping sample I provided in August 2022 tested positive for trace amounts of a banned substance,” Evans said. 

“I believe passionately in clean sport and I have never taken any banned substances. I do not know what caused the positive test, but my team and I are investigating how this could have happened and I am doing everything possible to find out.

“Due to the confidentiality of the process, I cannot say any more at this stage, but I would like to thank my family for supporting me at this very distressing time.”

It’s another major blow for the competition, with two big-name English stars already withdrawing from the competition. 

Liam Livingstone was initially set to miss part of the tournament due to Test commitments, but will now miss the entire season for the Renegades after withdrawing due to poor workload.

David Willey has also withdrawn from the Big Bash after signing with the Sydney Thunder, with the club now looking for a replacement. 


Credit: sportingnews.com

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular