The final fight of Paul Gallen’s boxing career will be a rematch against Justin Hodges in Sydney on Wednesday, November 23.
Gallen stopped the Maroons great in the third round of their bout in Brisbane back in September but Hodges felt hard done by after he was stunned by an illegal punch.
Earlier in the fight, Hodges had dropped Gallen but the former NSW skipper was able to regain his composure and get the stoppage victory.
The rematch was announced in Sydney on Wednesday and is expected to bring to an end the boxing career of Gallen which has seen him amass a record of 14-2-1 and claim a victory over former world champion Lucas Browne.
For Hodges, it’s about getting one back after what he feels was foul play which led to Gallen’s victory earlier this year.
“Everything he says is laughable,” Gallen disputed at Wednesday’s press conference.
“We’re doing 6×3 minute rounds this time or the fight is not happening, that’s the way it’s going to go. Everything he says is laughable. I’m happy to testify on the judge’s behalf. He said before the match we can punch whenever we want, the only time we can’t punch is when the referee calls break or if he’s in between us.
“What about when the referee did call break, stepped in between us, I stepped back, looked at him and you hit me with the best right hand of the fight. Five seconds later you hit me in the back of the head and dropped me. Did I whinge, bitch or moan about that?”
“We’re doing it properly or we’re not doing it at all. I want it approved now, if it’s not three-minute rounds, we’re not doing it.”
This time, the pair will be fighting over three-minute rounds instead of the two-minute rounds Hodges has become used to, a point which should play into the more-experienced Gallen’s hands.
“We’re doing it properly or we’re not doing it at all,” Gallen said. “I want it approved now, if it’s not three-minute rounds, we’re not doing it,”
Also on the card will be middleweight star Michael Zerafa, who will be returning to Fox Sports and Main Event for the first time since his scheduled 2021 fight with Tim Tszyu fell apart at the last minute.
“18 months is a very long time. We’ve moved on he’s moved on,” No Limit’s George Rose said.
“He is the No.1 middleweight contender in the world, the best middleweight that we have and he’s here to have a massive fight. It’s very exciting.”
Zerafa will be taking on Danilo Creati ahead of what he hopes is a world title shot against Gennady “GGG” Golovkin in Australia early next year.