Rapid West Australian fast bowler Lance Morris is a big step closer to Test selection after being flown to Adelaide to join the Australian squad ahead of the second clash with the West Indies.
An injury cloud over captain Pat Cummins, who said he rated his chances of being fit for the second Test as “pretty good” after suffering a small thigh strain, and huge workloads for frontline quicks Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc moved selectors to call for reinforcements.
Queensland quick Michael Neser, who played his only Test in Adelaide last year, will also join the squad, with Boxing Day hero Scott Boland already with the team and next in line to play should a replacement be needed.
But Morris, who regularly clocks more than 150km/h for WA, now looms as a selection option.
Cummins didn’t bowl any of the 110 overs Australia sent down in the second innings of the 164-run first-Test win, with Hazlewood and Starc bowling 45 on top of their 43 overs in the opening innings.
But the captain was hopeful of taking his place.
“We’re just working through now whether we bring in a couple of other people just as cover over the next couple of days,” Cummins said.
“It‘s just a small strain, so normally about a one-weeker, but if you bowl and make it worse it can make it longer.
“The physio might be less optimistic, but I think I‘ll be fine.”
Morris, 24, has jumped to the top of the wicket-takers’ list for this year’s Sheffield Shield with 27 scalps at an average of just over 18, including match figures of 9-82 against NSW early in the season.
He’s three ahead of Neser, who has 24 wickets and run rampant through the first half of the season with Queensland teammate Mark Steketee. The dynamic duo has snared 49 wickets.
The second Test against the West Indies starts on Thursday
Story Credit: news.com.au