Wednesday, March 29, 2023
HomeNewsTributes flow for 14yo Cobbitty bus crash victim Cameron Millen

Tributes flow for 14yo Cobbitty bus crash victim Cameron Millen

- Advertisement -

Family and friends have shared heartbreaking tributes as the 14-year-old boy killed by a bus in Sydney’s southwest has been named.

Cameron Millen, a student at the Macarthur Anglican School in Cobbitty, has been identified as the tragic victim of an incident that occurred about 2.50pm on Wednesday.

The teen was believed to have been walking on the footpath when the bus appeared to leave the road while going through a roundabout and struck him.

Cameron was taken to Liverpool Hospital in a critical condition but later died.

His brother is among those leaving heartfelt tributes online as his entire community mourns his death.

“Rest in peace little bro,” wrote Cameron’s brother, who is a Year 11 student at the same school.

“You were the best little brother I could have ever asked for. Though I found you annoying sometimes, you were always there for me and I can’t believe you’re gone. I will do my best to make you proud lil’ man. Love you.”

Police allege 54-year-old Penina Lopesi was behind the wheel of the school bus at the time of the deadly incident.

It is alleged the bus “lost control” as it moved away from the bus bays and mounted the kerb where the boy was standing.

She was arrested at Liverpool Hospital at 8.30pm yesterday after being taken there for mandatory testing.

Lopesi been charged with dangerous driving occasioning death, driving in a dangerous manner and negligent driving occasioning death.

Her licence has also been suspended and she was refused bail to appear at Liverpool Local Court today.

Lopesi’s son Anthony Lopesi was with his mum at the hospital following the crash, telling The Daily Telegraph that she is “very sad the boy passed away from the crash”.

The mum-of-three who is married to a church pastor and has been working in transport for decades.

Her husband, Tupuola Lopesi, told the publication he found out what had happened after she called him from the police station.

“She just said what had happened … I talked to her, it’s very sad,” Pastor Lopesi said.

He said his wife would be in court at midday so he would “go there then”.

Read related topics:Sydney

Story Credit:

- Advertisment -

Most Popular