Thursday, February 9, 2023
HomeNewsSimon Davies: Privacy expert jailed for sexual abuse of two young boys

Simon Davies: Privacy expert jailed for sexual abuse of two young boys

- Advertisement -

Internationally renowned privacy advocate Simon Davies has been jailed for at least six years for historical child sex offences against two young boys who he abused in Sydney in the 1980s.

Davies, 66, was extradited to Australia last year after a long-running police investigation.

Earlier this year he pleaded guilty to five charges – including the antiquated charges of homosexual intercourse with a male under 10 years – relating to two young victims.

Mr Davies, who was a renowned tech and privacy expert in Europe and the UK, was handed over to NSW Police by Dutch counterparts after a warrant was issued for his arrest.

He did not appear in Sydney’s Downing Centre District court on Tuesday afternoon and instead watched on via videolink from Cessnock Correctional Centre as he was sentenced by Judge Sharon Harris.

Sporting a grey goatee and wearing prison greens, he did not react as he was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

But there were emotional scenes inside the courtroom as one of his victims broke down in tears and embraced supporters and police.

Davies was handed a six-month non-parole period meaning with time served he will be eligible for release in March 2026.

Davies met his first teenage victim while running the Homeless Children’s ­Association in Darlinghurst in the 1980s.

The court heard that he attempted to abuse the boy at a Darlinghurst sex shop, where he played him a pornographic film.

He also abused the boys in a hotel after they drank at a nightclub.

Judge Harris described the boy as “particularly vulnerable” and because of the age difference “it involved an increased level of exploitation of the victim‘s youth.”

The court heard that Davies met his second victim after inviting him to live with him in Sydney.

The court heard he groomed the then 15-year-old by giving him massages and plying him with alcohol.

Judge Harris said Davies’ offences were aggravated because they involved a “breach of trust”.

An investigation under Strike Force Boyd began in 2010 over allegations he sexually assaulted young people who were staying at the shelter for disadvantaged and homeless youth.

Davies left Australia in 1993 and UK police in 2017 attempted to arrest him in London.

However he was out of the country and an Interpol red notice seeking his arrest was issued.

After NSW Police launched an international appeal for information, Davies handed himself in at a Rotterdam police station in 2019.

NSW Police travelled to the Netherlands and he was extradited back to Sydney in April 2021 and detained at Surry Hills Police Station.

Before his arrest, Davies was a prominent commentator on privacy laws and was founder of Privacy International.

More to come.

Read related topics:Sydney

Story Credit:

- Advertisment -

Most Popular