Australian Olympic hero Peter Bol’s drugs nightmare is over after his B sample returned a negative result to banned substance EPO.
Bol declared his innocence in January when it was revealed the national 800m record holder received a positive result after a test last October.
But on Tuesday morning he revealed the reading from last year was false and his provisional ban had been lifted, leaving him free to resume his career.
“Last month I told everyone I was innocent and asked that everyone in Australia believe me and let the process play out,” Bol said.
“I was hopeful that the process would exonerate me. This morning, I am relieved that it did.
“I was just informed that my B sample did not confirm my A sample.
“My provisional suspension has been lifted by Sport Integrity Australia.
“The relief I am feeling is hard to describe. I appreciate the support I have received from my family, my team and from so many people from Australia and around the world
“The last month has been nothing less than a nightmare.”
Bol, who made the 800m final at the Tokyo Olympics and finished second at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, was adamant he had never taken any banned substances and fully co-operated with investigators while he waited for the B sample to be returned.
“I wished the results of my A sample had not been leaked, but there is nothing I can do about that; to say it one more time – I am innocent and have not taken this substance as I was accused,” he said.
“I have never in my life purchased, researched, possessed, administered, or used synthetic EPO or any other prohibited substance and never will.”
Story Credit: news.com.au