Fifteen people have been evacuated from a unit block in Sydney’s southwest following a fire believed to have been sparked by an e-scooter, prompting a warning from authorities.
FRNSW crews were called to the five-storey apartment complex on Hoxton Park Rd at Liverpool at about 11.44pm on Thursday, where they found a smouldering e-scooter inside one of the units.
Two adults with a baby had managed to flee their apartment in which an e-scooter had caught fire.
About 15 other residents were evacuated as firefighters dealt with the e-scooter, which was smouldering by the time they got inside.
The family from the unit was examined by paramedics but didn’t need to be taken to hospital.
FRNSW Superintendent Adam Dewberry said the scene could have been a lot worse.
“We are seeing a number of fires which are being caused by lithium ion, battery powered equipment such as e-bikes and e-scooters,” Superintendent Dewberry said.
“People need to take sensible precautions, including purchasing reputable brands from proven retailers, always buy equipment that meets Australian Standards and always use and charge in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications.”
Story Credit: news.com.au