A child has died after being found in a hot car in Sydney’s southwest.
NSW Ambulance officers were called to Railway Parade at Glenfield about 3pm on Thursday.
Paramedics found the three-year-old unresponsive, and the boy was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police said the boy had been in the car throughout the day before a man, known to the infant, raised the alarm when he returned to the vehicle.
“Officers from Campbelltown City Police Area Command were told the child had been in the vehicle throughout the day,” said a NSW Police spokesperson.
“The vehicle’s owner, a man known to the child, raised the alarm when he returned to the car.
“A crime scene has been established and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident is underway.
“The man has been taken to Campbelltown Police Station where he is assisting police.”
Areas of Sydney recorded maximum temperatures above 30C throughout Thursday.
Campbelltown, near Glenfield, recorded a top of 33.9C at 4.51pm, according to Bureau of Meteorology data.
Child safety advocates Kidsafe claim more than 5,000 children are rescued from hot cars in Australia every year — the majority being babies and toddlers.
“Leaving children unattended in a car – even for a short period of time – can be fatal,” reads information on Kidsafe’s website.
“Children are particularly at risk because they can lose fluid quickly, become dehydrated and suffer from heatstroke.”
In December 2015, celebrity chef Matt Moran called media to a cooking demonstration at Sydney’s Bondi Beach where he’d prepared a piece of lamb using just the interior heat of a parked car.
“This has been in there for a little over an hour and a half,” said Mr Moran, slicing open the meat in a video of the demonstration, “that to me is overdone.”
Story Credit: news.com.au