Monday, January 30, 2023
HomeNewsFive men arrested after gang rape of two teenagers in Adelaide

Five men arrested after gang rape of two teenagers in Adelaide

- Advertisement -

WARNING: Confronting content

Police have arrested five of a suspected seven men in connection to the alleged gang rape of two teenage women in Adelaide on the weekend.

South Australia Police have alleged that between 11pm on December 3 and 12.30am on December 4, two women, aged 18 and 19, were sexually assaulted in a car park off Hindley Street in Adelaide’s CBD.

A court heard on Wednesday the women were allegedly forced into the stairwell where they were repeatedly raped for more than 30 minutes, according to ABC.

Police arrested a 20-year-old man of no fixed address and charged him with rape. He appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday.

Detectives arrested a 17-year-old boy from Blair Athol on Monday and charged him with rape. He appeared in the Adelaide Youth Court on the same day.

A 23-year-old from a Kensington address was arrested on Tuesday and charged with two counts of rape. He appeared in Adelaide Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

A 17-year-old from Newton was also arrested on Tuesday. He was charged with inducing a witness to withhold evidence. He was granted police bail to appear in Adelaide Youth Court on January 19.

Police arrested a 21-year-old man from Clearview on Wednesday and charged him with two counts of rape and one count of inducing a witness to withhold evidence. He was refused bail and was set to appear in Adelaide Magistrates Court Thursday.

Police prosecutor Brevet Sergeant Amanda Sparnan, who opposed the 23-year-old’s bail, told the court on Wednesday, “some raped, while others watched”, Daily Mail reported.

Sgt Sparnan told the court one of the women allegedly saw her friend being raped by other men in the group because she could see down a gap in the stairwell.

She added that one of the woman allegedly managed to escape but returned to the scene to help her friend, but was allegedly raped again.

The court also heard money was offered to one of the women to not take “action” against the alleged rapists.

Investigations are continuing and police are encouraging “a number of other people involved in the incident” to come forward.

The court previously heard the women were passing the carpark early Sunday morning and were offered alcohol and cannabis by a group of men.

The identities of the men have been protected under interim suppression orders, while the two 17-year-olds cannot be named under state law.

Police are asking anyone with information that may assist to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Read related topics:Adelaide

Story Credit: news.com.au

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular