Brittany Higgins has broken her silence after the charge against the man she accused of raping her was dropped.
The former political staffer took to Instagram on Sunday to post an infographic of the statement she made after the first trial against Bruce Lehrmann was ruled a mistrial.
“I chose to speak up … to speak up and share my experiences with others,” the statement said.
“I told the truth. No matter how uncomfortable or unflattering to the court. When I did speak up I never fully understood how asymmetrical criminal justice system but I do now.
“I want to thank the people of Australia who have rallied behind me, those who chose to attend the March for Justice and I want to thank the workers and Canberra’s healthcare system without whom I literally wouldn’t be here today.”
Mr Lehrmann, who pleaded not guilty to a single charge of sexual intercourse without consent, was scheduled to front a retrial in the ACT Supreme Court in February next year.
It was alleged the offence took place inside Linda Reynolds’ ministerial office at Parliament House after a night out drinking with work colleagues in March 2019.
Mr Lehrmann pleaded not guilty and strenuously denied ever having sex with Ms Higgins.
He faced trial earlier this year but the jury was discharged in October after misconduct of one of the jurors was uncovered.
Lawyers for Mr Lehrmann on Sunday said they would not be commenting at this time.
On Friday, ACT Director of Public Prosecutions Shane Drumgold confirmed Mr Lehrmann would not face a retrial after he used his direction to drop the rape case against him due to the “unacceptable” risk to Ms Higgins’ life.
Ms Higgins is currently undergoing mental health treatment in a Queensland-based hospital after the “unrelenting” pressure of the past few years.
“While it’s disappointing the trial has ended this way, Brittany’s health and safety must always come first,” friend Emma Webster said.
It comes as news.com.au reported that lawyers acting for Ms Higgins are set to hold talks with the federal government over a million-dollar compensation claim.
Mr Lehrmann is also reportedly weighing up whether to launch legal action.
Story Credit: news.com.au