A confronting video filmed by students at an Adelaide high school is part of a trend of violent incidents in the state’s school system.
The shocking footage was filmed on the grounds of one of the state’s largest public schools, Mark Oliphant College, on Monday and quickly went viral on social media.
It comes only one day after another video emerged of a student from Whyalla Secondary College, north of Adelaide, punching a classmate on school steps.
The latest video shows a male student punching a female student in the head while walking through the schoolyard, directly in sight of a supervising teacher.
The blow is so hard it sends the student stumbling onto the hard ground.
Another clip taken moments later shows the same student racing towards a male student before pinning him up against a brick wall and throwing multiple punches into his stomach.
The victim was able to escape from his grip and run away.
The incident was reported to police, but officers did not attend the school.
SA Police has opened an investigation into the incident.
Principal Kerry Williams sent a letter to parents and carers on Wednesday apologising for “a number of incidents” at the school over the past week.
“We have had a number of incidents at the school that are unacceptable and that have been as a result of students making poor choices and not following Mark Oliphant College behaviour expectations,” the letter read.
She said the appropriate consequences had been put in place for the students involved and the incidents had been reported to both police and the Department of Education.
“Leaders at Mark Oliphant College have been working closely to support the students, staff and families involved in these incidents,” she said.
The school had invested two years into “restorative practices training” and has engaged external agencies to support students and families, Ms Williams added.
The school has since made the decision to review its mobile phone policy to bring it in line with the 45 other schools across the state that have put a ban on phones during school hours for term 1.
All public school across Adelaide will need to implement the ban by the start of term 3 on July 24.
“We will continue to monitor the outcomes of the policy for those schools, particularly in light of it potentially discouraging inappropriate behaviour by students,” the letter read.
It is not the first time the school has made headlines for violent behaviour among students.
In June 2020, police attended the school after students of an African background were allegedly attacked by caucasian students.
The school also sent out a letter in September last year advising parents that a “large number” of students were “perpetuating the rhetoric of TikTok influencer Andrew Tate”, The Advertiser reported.
“These videos are aimed at young men and we have seen a sharp increase in our middle years students following these beliefs,” the letter read.
The men’s rights activist has been widely condemned for his misogynistic views, including that sexual assault survivors must bear responsibility for their attacks and he dates 18-year-old women because he can make an “imprint” on them.
Story Credit: news.com.au