Ghanaian soccer star Christian Atsu is still missing following the earthquakes that wrought devastation across parts of Turkey and Syria last week.
“He’s still missing and we’re still searching,” his agent Nana Sechere, told MarketWatch during a brief phone call on Thursday morning.
The former Chelsea, Newcastle and Everton star currently plays for Turkish Super Lig club Hatayspor in the city of Antakya in Hatay province in southern Turkey.
Related: Soccer star Christian Atsu still missing after Turkey earthquakes: ‘I still pray and believe that he’s alive,’ says partner
Last week reports emerged that Atsu had been rescued from the rubble, but these proved to be unfounded.
On Tuesday Sechere tweeted that he was at the earthquake site with Atsu’s family. “It has been 9 days since the earthquake and we still have not located Christian. I am at the quake site in Hatay with Christian’s family,” he wrote. “The scenes are unimaginable and our hearts are broken for all the people affected.”
Sechere tweeted that Atsu’s room location had been identified in the devastation and that two pairs of the soccer star’s shoes had been found.
Related: Soccer star Christian Atsu ‘under the rubble’ following Turkey earthquake, report says. Ghana Football Association remains ‘hopeful for positive news.’
Last week the soccer star’s partner Marie-Claire Rupio described the pain of dealing with the conflicting reports about Atsu. “It was quite shocking, as you can imagine, if the club was confirming, saying that he has been found and alive and taken to hospital, and 11 hours later my children had to hear it from the radio, saying that they still don’t know where he is.”
Rupio and Atsu have three children, according to reports.
“I still pray and believe that he’s alive,” Rupio added.
Related: Amazon donates $500K, Chobani CEO pledges up to $2 million for Turkey earthquake aid
The powerful 7.8-magnitude quake rocked wide swaths of Turkey and Syria last week, toppling thousands of buildings. A second 7.5 magnitude quake also hit the region, according to the Wall Street Journal. The death toll from the earthquakes has topped 35,000.